02-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #84
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
In regards to Sam's final thoughts, I'm not sure I agree. I don't feel like the M3/4 has been sanitized at all. I feel like it's the complete opposite. The torque almost overwhelms the car and I find it to be a pretty unruly beast if you don't treat it with respect. Granted, I've only driven the M235i (one with optional LSD even), and I felt like that was a much more friendly car, but in a good way. Compared to my FBO E92 M3, the F80 was far less sanitary in everyway haha, whereas the 2ers were much more familiar to me.

Either way, I congratulate everyone that has the M2 on order. You guys have done very well!
I'm sure Sam can put words in his own mouth, so I won't try to do it for him, but I interpreted his comment about the M3/4 being "sanitized" to mean causing the driver to feel more disconnected from the car and the road due to suspension tuning, steering feel, overall handling, emotional engagement/theater, etc, and having driven the M4 myself I do consider it more sanitized than the E9x I had at the time -- and so does the owner, who is actually toying with the idea of getting an M2 or Boxster Spyder instead. It was still fun and undoubtedly faster than the E9x, but I didn't see the value in upgrading to it from the E9x I had given what it would cost. The M5/6 have even more trouble putting their power down, but I would nonetheless argue that they're even more sanitized than the M3/4, because they're designed to be. I don't think one has any real relationship to the other.

I agree though that if I had to buy a new BMW today, it would be an M2 by the sounds of it.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 1