05-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #86
s3baman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
But this is exactly what people say EVERY TIME. Look at the M3/4. When the specs came out, everyone btched and moaned about how it only had 5 more hp than the S65. I love my E92, but I know it would get stomped by an M3/4 almost every time.

I think maybe all our expectations are different. Personally, I don't expect the engine to be the main talking point about this car. What I really care about is that they take the really good 2er chassis, and add the suspension, brakes, diff and EPS from the M3/4. Now THAT, is what makes me salivate.

Wasn't the 1M identical? At the end of the day, it was just an N54 that could be found anywhere. But the combination between the chassis and E9x M3 parts made it magical.
While the 3 series didn't have an M235 equivalent, the power and torque increase of the M3/4 over the 335i were significant, as well as a lower unladen weight.

In the last few years BMW has become extremely conservative on their HP numbers and most likely this car will have 365 whp (~415 crank HP) but you can't blame some people here expecting a bit more from the engine.

I'm sure the suspension and the driving dynamics will be terrific, after all everyone praises the M3 for it's handling and that has always been the hallmark of an M car. Needless to say however, BMW has been a bit behind the curve in the engine compartment recently
Appreciate 1