View Single Post
      05-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Move the X1 into it's proper SUV/CUV category leaves BMW sedan can coupe sales at 13,296.

Add the X1 sale to "light trucks" and total sales are 9,328.

Sedans and coupes still the "bread and butter" of BMW sales.
And, the current 3/4 series is currently an old model, and potential buyers are waiting for the new 3.
I am one of them. My current 2016 340i lease is done in September.
The G20 won't be out until next year.
Since my 340i is my second F30, I'm out of the 3 series for a while.
If I don't go with an M240i for 2019, then I'm going with an Audi S3 or maybe even a VW Golf-R.
BMW has dragged it's feet on bringing a new 3, along with bringing a 2 series based sedan.
The X2 is interesting, but still too much of an SUV/CUV and too tall for my wants.

SUV/SAV/CUV have been great additional sales for some brands.
Amerians fascination with tall minivan looking SUVs and small CUVs have increased sales in that category.

The CUV crazy is interesting, because those vehicles are much more like tall/raised hatchbacks, which the media claims Americans don't favor.
So the manufactures take their compact car chassis and create a slightly taller hatchback with a few styling cues from an SUV and voila increased sales.

The latest craze in SUV's is styling that is much more minivan than truck.
SUV used to look more like their truck beginnings. Many looked like a pickup with a solid greenhouse added along with rear doors. Now, SUV's are based on car chassis looking more and more like minivans.
If you were to add sliding doors on the new Honda Pilot it would look a lot like a minivan.

I'm not a fan of raised sedans and compacts. I prefer a lower center of mass for better and safer handling.
I see a lot of smaller women, many younger moms, who drive these SUVs while carrying just one child who is positioned in the middle of it.
Safe? Sure. But, that child is no safer than sitting in the center position of sedan. Overall, I contend the sedan is safer because it has superior handling and control, and in general better, shorter stopping distance braking, when comparing using equivalent tires.
Still, the mass public isn't aware and doesn't care, cause they want those bigger vehicles thinking they are somehow safer.

Once the gas prices get higher, and it looks like they will continue their current rise, larger SUV sales will likely drop, as has happened in the past.
Appreciate 0