View Single Post
      10-29-2016, 11:41 PM   #36
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

What one perceives as throttle response is composed of many things. Take a highly strung NA engine with torque starting to peak around 4k rpm and power peaking around 7.5k rpm.

You're at 2000 rpm and floor it. It feels like something is instantly happening, because you don't have as much intake dead space, turbo inertia etc. but nothing is happening unless you had the foresight to drop a gear or two and put the rpm into the engine's power band. If you didn't, you get nothing, nothing, and then gradually peaking acceleration.

Do the same thing in a modern turbo charged car, especially with a twin scroll turbo and you'll get nothing, then a swell of torque that pushes you along. If you had the foresight to drop a gear or two into the power band, you get effectively instant shove and you're off.

What I object to is this idea that it's ok for NA engines to have an (often small) optimum power band, but turbo charged cars can't. It's an unfair comparison. I've seen plenty of rolling drag races between NA and turbo cars. Typically, both cars being in their optimum power bands, and there is no difference in how both cars get going.

This 'lag' thing gets thrown around a lot but I think that it's important to be clear where and how there is lag. If you're in the wrong gear, it will take time for boost to build, just like in an NA car it will take time for RPM to build, no one calls that 'NA lag'. All things being equal, I'd take a 2000rpm 4th gear pull in an M2 vs an e92 M3 any day of the week.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00