04-04-2017, 06:57 AM   #39
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Coatings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
I still stand by what I said. Yes they can be buffed, but water spots underneath or any imperfections add time. Depends on the coating though, they have come a long way. The early "glass coatings" were no more than a marketing term. Now they can really do most of what they claim. Most are still expensive and aren't as magical as some believe.

I'm just regurgitating observations from some of the best Detailer's in the world. Mostly from the AMMO podcasts when they sit down with Kevin Brown and others.

Coatings are still a great option for a base but I still believe in sealant and a good ole wax to add layers of protection and shine.
I have the utmost respect for those in that podcast, but you have to think about why they were saying it at the time. They all worked for Meguairs, whom only makes a coating for the Asian market.
Some of the hair brained things with hitting them with lighters and such are a smoke and mirrors kind of thing, because you can actually do that with a waxed car as well, because it is just surface tension.

Bruce
Appreciate 0