01-19-2016, 12:11 PM   #54
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
IIRC the oil changes are in the ~$200 range, but aren't needed until 20,000 miles. Not sure I will wait that long, but the engines are supposedly pretty stout when it comes to longevity without issues - we shall see how that goes.

I do think it is relatively difficult to access certain parts of the engine, so if you are a DIYer, it might be a consideration. I have to admit that I am a mechanical idiot, so that's not really a concern for me.
Oil changes at dealers can be significantly more than that, and a lot of that charge is just to reset the service reminder, which can't be done via the dashboard like BMWs. It's hugely annoying, but investing in a Durametric cable or finding an aftermarket shop that has a third-party diag tool that can do this (such as a Snap-On Verus) avoids that. However, the oil change interval on Porsches is 10K miles. I'll be changing mine every 5K, just as I changed every 7.5K when BMW recommended 15K, though they've now switched back to 10K. Porsche's transaxle interval is something like 125K, which I think is ludicrous even though the drain plug is magnetic and should therefore hang onto metal shards. Most people who do any track work seem to change that at 10K since it's not very expensive or difficult and you don't need to reset the service minder until 125K anyway.

As for work, Porsche engines are designed to allow routine maintenance to be performed from under the car, although yes if you had to do something unusual it could be quite a chore to hoist the engine out of the bay.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0