View Single Post
      08-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #35
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy385 View Post
For what it's worth, I had the exact same issue and got pulled over with only an M Performance Exhaust in Laguna Beach as well. I insisted to the officer that the exhaust comes on the car new from the dealer and is a factory BMW part with no modifications. He wasn't having any of it and told me my car was supposed to be as loud as "any other car" as a Nissan Rouge drove by while we were talking. Ok buddy whatever. I asked him what loudness he measured my exhaust at, and he admitted that he didn't measure mine with any kind of decibel meter, but he did record it on his bodycam and his discretion of the exhaust being too loud was enough to write me the ticket. Alright yep, see you in court where we'll waste both our time.

So I contested the ticket in court, and I won. I brought with me several documents: A window sticker from another M2 showing that it is an option that dealers are selling brand new cars with, the operation/installation manual that came with the exhaust stating that the closed valve mode is legal for road use, as well as a letter from a local mechanic stating that the exhaust was a factory BMW part and was in good condition and had no leaks.

Judge was pretty quick to dismiss it after I brought that mound of paperwork vs. the officer's bodycam footage
Seems like, at least in theory, your ticket should be precedent to throw out any other factory M performance exhaust on an M2.
Appreciate 0