View Single Post
      05-30-2016, 05:44 AM   #51
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive

Test drove the RS this weekend and here are my impressions after a 30 min test drive. Will try and describe how I think it compares to the M2 as best I can.

Engine - Very linear and great response for a turbocharged 4-pot.
Enginesound - not that nice and far from the M2s i6.
Power delivery was decent but lacked a bit top end. Felt a bit flat the last 500 rpms felt a bit unnecessary.
Feels a bit underwhelming in terms of straight line pace compared to the M2. However that was expected looking at different magazines acceleration numbers.

Chassie and drive train - Very impressed of how the torque vectoring made the car feel very rear biased. Will be interesting to explore the limits of grip on a wet road when I take delivery of mine.
Seems like a far more entertaining 4wd system than the haldex-based cars.

Very nice and direct steering with both good weight and feel. Felt similar to the M2s but a but more direct and a bit nervous.

Suspension was quite firm in the softest setting but the car felt very controlled over bumpy roads and in corners.
It did however not feel as wide and glued to the road as the M2. It can be due to the high seating position in the car as the actual grip seems immense.
It just feels like a "taller" and narrower car when you chuck it in to corners. Hard to explain.

Suspension is probably a little bit softer than the M2. However in the firmer damper setting the RS ride was much firmer than the M2s. Pretty much useless on normal roads.

Interior is not as nice as the M2 and the optional Recaro shell seats do not offer any height adjustment so you tend to end up sitting to high up in the car.
M2 has a much better driving position as you can sit low in the car and also as the steering wheels reach can be adjusted much closer to the driver. And as I am pretty tall and is seated far back that is quite important.

All in all I suppose the RS lived up to all my expectations. That being said they were lower than for the M2.
I still personally much prefer the M2 over the RS for these main reasons:
-Looks, both interior and exterior
-Seating position
-Engine character
-RWD layout

Price difference in my case is negligable, about 5K dollars/euros

Br
Appreciate 5