View Single Post
      10-03-2017, 07:04 AM   #302
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Follow up to the above questions I probably should have asked this prior to application but I recently applied GTechniq Crystal Serum Light this coating weekend. I am currently wondering if I applied it correctly and whether I coated the entire car.

First I started by cleaning, polishing and prepping the paint with PanelWipe...so I believe I started with a good, clean, corrected surface.

From there, I started applying the CSL to portions of the hood. I did this in 6 segments which was easy (apply and swipe off) but I was worried that I would apply one section of the hood, move to another and be (potentially) removing some of the coating when I went to remove the excess. On other parts of the car, I sometimes felt it was easier to work on an area larger than 2x2. It seemed like the coating was going onto the paint and I could see the coating was being transferred to the paint - any issues with this? Also, my questions (and this can apply to all ceramic coating) are:
  1. Is it okay to do a slight overlap (especially since its so hard to tell exactly where you coated previously) during application?

I think the instructions recommend this and it is okay.
  2. When moving from section to section (on a panel) and panel to panel, you have to remove the residue from sections where you've already applied - is it possible to completely remove the slightly cured sections? How could you tell if you were doing this?

No, unless you are using excessive force or have a MF towel that has some type of panel wipe or a strong APC. The coating starts to bond once applied.
  3. How much wiping is enough to remove the residue? I went over it a couple of times and tried not to apply a lot of pressure -- I guess I'm just worried that I removed most of the coating (or should I not worry about that?).

You should be able to see where you wiped on the coating and also where you removed it.

4. How can I test to ensure I got complete coverage? Just if the water beads on all sections of the paint? I don't know have a way to inspect paint thickness.

That is about the only way, because this stuff does leave behind a tracer hue (now thats an idea) you can only make sure that you are diligent in your application.
  5. What's a good way to clean the pad that was used for the coating? Or is this throw away at this point? I had it in a bucket of water with soap but it still smells strongly of the coating.

Throw it away. I wouldnt use it again for anything.

Thanks for any help!

Hope the above explanations help.

Bruce
Appreciate 0