12-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #159
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chako View Post
The interesting thing is Chevrolet is doing exactly what you're describing with the Camaro ZL1 1LE, so it can be done. Despite being heavy, and offering 4 seats (albeit small back seats), the ZL1 1LE performance is extremely close to the GT3's evidenced by its 7:16 Nurburgring lap time. And not only that, it has a manual transmission and basically everyone who drives it raves about how fun it is. Chevy also knows to make their MSRP reflect the fact that it is less premium in feel and brand prestige to a manufacturer like Porsche.

I feel that BMW has the capability to make a car like that with a more premium feel and lighter weight. Who thought BMW M should one day look up to the Camaro in terms of sports coupe track performance? I'm personally hoping these upcoming M2 variants have some ZL1 1LE-light personality traits with the increased braking and power (not as much as the monster S/C 6.2 obviously), but also lighter weight and more premium.
Good point, but two important differences. The Camaro is hardly a sedan. The back seats are virtually unusable to begin with. And at ~$70k it is half the price of a GT3, whereas the M4 GTS is about 80%-90% there in terms of cost.

To clarify, I am all for BMW making uber M cars, but they should not forget what they are.....sports sedans! If they want to compete with purpose build sports cars, then they should build one.

For Pete's sake, they were in F1, surely they can build a sports car.
Appreciate 0