View Single Post
      02-29-2016, 02:23 AM   #64
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

So Scott's comments about the batmobile look and the stick on aerodynamic parts (possibly wider fenders still? or the nose for the batmobile?) refer to a CSL car or the M2 CS or an independent car?

It seems likely given the testing rumors that a CS would have the S55. The question is how hardcore will it be. Do they lose the rear seats and add the cage, or will it be an intermediate step towards GTS/CSL types that may get teased as a concept but not go into production on the M2 until the next generation (i.e. after seeing how the CS sells).

My guess is that it won't be a batmobile, I think that's saved for the M2 CSL which may be realistically unobtainable. I do believe the S55 although I suspect it may be detuned a bit. I'm not sure about the water injection from the GTS though - maybe part of a pricey PPK package that also retunes the engine power between M4 and M4 GTS levels. Probably the 666 wheels that everybody loves to hate and maybe a few more carbon bits that we already see on the M4 but changed to work on the 2. E.G. carbon crankshaft, carbon roof, carbon brace etc. Probably not ceramic brakes or wheels, but maybe as an upgrade option. Seats might get changed to the US spec GTS seats. Maybe a lighter weight exhaust, but titanium seems too pricey. It would be nice to get some dedicated gauges, or a HUD that can show things like temperatures and boost etc. I also hope the mirrors are unchanged to piss people off. As for 6MT or DCT or both - I'd say both is most likely. The GT4 shows how much desire is still there for 6MT, while the transition from 1/M to M2 shows the BMW definitely want to offer the DCT.

I think the weight savings will be minimal, but that most of the performance increase comes from traction, handling and the power gain. I'd expect price to be lower if a CSL is also coming, maybe keep it down to 10-20K more depending how much gets done to it.

Personally I hope the CS isn't a huge cost adder, i.e. not like the GTS. More like an exaggerated competition package. I hope it keeps the rear seats (after all why not get a cayman if you only want 2 seats).

I believe/hope the CSL on the otherhand would most likely be more of a halocar, i.e. what can ///M really do when they put their mind to it without budget restrictions. I.E. step up the carbon factor, shed some crazy weight, be obnoxiously impractical (race car on the street), maybe change the shape to batmobile and maybe shift to a custom nutso tuned 4 cylinder. The question is - will there only be one CSL - would there be M2 CSL and M4 CSL? It seems a bit redundant to have both. My theory is that it wouldn't be an M2 CSL or M4 CSL, but just one "CSL" - hence the batmobile design so that it looks more like a standalone car that can be priced accordingly higher. I firmly expect the CSL to outprice the existing M4 GTS.

Last edited by stren; 02-29-2016 at 02:49 AM..
Appreciate 0