02-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #95
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mWHO View Post
I shall keep my deposit, just in case it turns out to be a home run. And really the only thing that could sway me enough is game changing steering feel improvement, and a GT3esque NA 'race' motor

I've done my fair share of looking around and if I want more power I'm going American. And if I'm dead set on more feel, well old M or a 2002 project would be what I would be after. But that's not the case. The M2 to me with everything turned off is one of the best cars I've had to drive, which quite contrasts the feel of it all on.

Looking at the F-Type and how many of the reviews praised the V6 pair, really opened my eyes past the more power = better experience.

I have many gripes with the M2, but my biggest is i'm too scared about it all. I'm frightened to screw up (less driving hard and no track time so far), and I don't want to bugger it up with mods. SSK and UCP are something I plan on doing, however the DP and tune is a bit worrisome. All of these might just solve what I feel its lacking; firmer feel inputs, and a bit better sound.

BUT, despite my promiscuous car interests and points of contention, my heart is set on keeping my 16 model, and something is telling me to keep it till the day she dies.

It still feels good beating a DCT using launch control at the 'strip' with my old school 6 speed (to a 100 at least then I was left behind of course).
Any M2 *Is* a special car. Currently production volume is in the E30 M3 range.. and look up what those are worth now.

Indeed you are correct, the fact that one can actually turn off a lot of the nannies, makes it even more desirable going forward as it is actually user adjustable- which we will see less of in the future.

The 6 speed is sublime and should be relatively easy to maintain. Something like a clutch disk wearing out or a throw out bearing failing or even a flywheel failure is easily user repairable

As BMW sends all DCT fans to their fully automatic A8 or A10 future ,The DCT-matic is reliable , but will be an expensive item to repair *someday* when an internal servo fails.

The chassis is terrific compact and usable. You don't see yourself on the road everywhere.

After 25 years of being an M car owner, my top 5 recommendations:

1- keep a low profile in your hood. No need to invite thieves. Wherever you live.

2- take care of the car and it will have terrific resale value. Keep up with basic maintenance and keep it clean. !

3- stock is beautiful. And reliable. German engineering is fantastic. Mods can be fun but engine mods particularly will reduce reliability over time. Suspension mods are usually able to be returned to stock and provide fantastic bang for the buck.

4- go fast in areas where there aren't people . Autocross , track, heck spirited country drives with friends are awesome... but don't get baited into street racing. The absolute best thing you can do with any BMW but especially an M car is to go to an Hpde or even an Autocross where you can learn more about the capabilities of your M car.

5- join bmw cca.
Appreciate 10
mWHO118.50
jdarwin601.50
RedCarrot230.50
skiparock182.50
reppucci339.50
qnet683.00