No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Well...guess I'll get a 911T.
At least Porsche knows there's a demand for raw, MT cars.
A SOLID plan - you may never go back to BMW.

I have owned 9 BMWs and I am 45 years old. I was going for the M2 CSL too (1st on the list at my dealer) thinking that BMW was finally figuring out how to get M cars back to light "basic," insane handling M cars, especially for the folks like those enthusiasts and "brand ambassadors" on this website. Nope, let's build another M5 variant . . . a hybrid no less. "We at BMW will make more money doing that . . . "

I am now officially out of this game of whomever sells more cars to the world wins. Capitalism is great and I love it as there is no better system IMHO, but stock price and shareholders suck sometimes and those folks are clearly in charge at BMW; a real downer. I know the GTS sales issues had some effect on this decision but when you build a $135,000 M4 to compete with P cars it better be mega and really compete. I love the M4 GTS but the raw performance numbers do not justify the price. I digress.

I almost think that not building the M2 CSL now is BMW's official admission that it can't stack up against what will be its obvious competitor - the new P GT4 coming soon!

Just depressing - I want BMW making serious M cars that rival the P competition. They have truly given up.
As you point out it's a public company with shareholder interests in mind. As such they'll sell a hell of a lot more M5 hybrids than bespoke driver oriented M cars. All companies seek to grow their share price and this is how BMW does it. Obviously they see no reason for a halo car either. Now Porsche can get away with it since their investor base is spread wide thanks to VW.