Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbloki View Post
Keeping an eye out for power output and crank hub design.
All wheel drive would be cool if there is control of the bias
The crank hub was completely redesigned on the B58 engine and does not suffer from the same design flaw of legacy BMW engines. Being that the S58 is a high output variant of the B58 this is no longer a concern. This is great for tunes, but you still need to have someone crack the ECU which I think will be the main concern if you're looking for tuning potential.

There are no plans to date on an AWD G87. Maybe in a few years when the LCI comes out they'll offer AWD, but even then it seems highly unlikely.
I doubt they'll ever offer an AWD option of the M2.

It's lower tier vehicle, so there is that exclusivity factor they would try to maintain with only the G80/82 and above. And AWD done M style would push the M2 out their target price range.

The M version the AWD is not just skin-deep, it's the real deal but it adds a slew of complexity, from two separate e-diffs front & back, new DSCi e-brakes, that modules electronically, without the need for hydraulic pressure and back and a host of other electronics that vectors power.

The M2 with an AWD option would add $4,000 to its sticker price and TBH, it's really not necessary on a small wheel based vehicle, if you know how to actually drive, i.e. aware of and respect the limits of your vehicle, proper feathering of the throttle and use of season-appropriate tires.

If you use common sense defensive driving, modern BMW RWD systems give you enough slack to regain control, for the most part, rendering AWD is an overkill for these streets but there is market for it and on BMW M cars they done it right.
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3907.50