View Single Post
      05-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #315
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthM3 View Post
Seems there are some that are upset that the N55 is being used rather than the S55, While some say there isn't even much of a difference between the S55 and N55.
Personally, I love the "supposed" looks of the M2. Also, It better have a LSD standard as this is an actual "M", not an M performance-part car.

The fact that you can still add/ pay for even more "M parts" to the non-M235i is ridiculous.
Just as it is to buy an "M performance exhaust" for a e9x M3 when it should be standard, as its an M!
Why put an "M" badge before the 235i, then charge for more M parts to be added is just beyond me.
I would rather get a CPO 335is for the same/cheaper price over an M235i because it has an N54 w/ extra radiator and the same hp/tq + the overboost function the 235 lacks, + DCT (even though I would get 6MT in any M)

I can understand why BMW is going only F/I now, but I'll stick with the raw power of N/A for now. A v8 that revs to 8400rpm, or a 3.2l I6 that pushes 333hp to 8k rpm is what made "M" cars unique.

Seems like a majority just want a lot of torque now; they should get an AMG then. I still would take the new 6MT M5 over a comparable AMG any day, but to add a digital exhaust sound to come out of the new M5's speakers...instead of the previous exotic sound of the V10...

Exterior wise, the new M cars still look great. If price is reasonable for the M2, I would consider it as a DD as the fuel economy in my v8 isn't so great. But thats not why I buy an M. I buy an M for its unique engine and superior handling; which the new ones still have yes, buts its not just the same...

This is all IMO
I think some stuff should be standard while others shouldn't. Personally, I don't want BMW to add $3000 to the base price for the exhaust. I'd rather do it myself. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Also maybe not related, but I much preferred it when you could order you car exactly as you want. Look at these new M3/4. If you want HUD, you have to tick a very expensive packaged option. So IMO, the more choice we have, the better.

I will agree with you that I'm not getting rid of my V8 though. It's too special to me, so I'll be looking to add instead. I'll also agree that people talk too much about having to have a tune. It's just not absolutely necessary IMO. I've driven a bone stock M6 at the Performance Center and the DSC light was just dancing away as the car struggled to put down power. I just don't think you need that N55 to put down 450hp with a tune for the M2 to be great.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0