View Single Post
      01-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #38
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
First, congratulations, looks like a good deal!

Actually, it's not that surprising to me that deals are starting to crop up, especially on more fully loaded M2s, especially those with the DCT. There will presumably be more of them as the rollout of the newer version with the S55 motor approaches. If a potential purchaser lives somewhere that there are a number of dealers located within a reasonably roaming range, it should pay off to play the dealers off against each other.

I'm reasonably certain that if I was willing to devote the time needed to the search, and had been willing to fly up to 1500 miles then drive a car back, that I could easily have saved two or three thousand dollars; I think the savings would have been capped at that level since what I want is a stripped car in MG with 6MT and no sunroof. Also, since I don't finance cars, that's one less source of possible profit for the dealer. And, I had a car to trade in, which cuts my sales tax exposure on the new car, as long as it is part of the transaction. Having to deal with a long distance trade in would have been a deal killer for me.

Everyone will have their own set of circumstances which will dictate to what extent they are willing to inconvenience themselves to save XX thousands of dollars. It also depends on how much the time you spend searching and completing that deal is worth to you otherwise. In my business dealings, a few thousand dollars isn't even a rounding error. It simply doesn't pay me to hunt around the best deal on a car across the country when it will cost me more in other ways. Everyone has to decide these sorts of things for themselves.
Too funny reading your post. I'm trying to close up a deal for a MG 6 spd only deal. Having to travel out of state with my trade in is a huge hassle. First dealers dont want to discount M2's then having the wildcard of my trade in.

I'm just going to pull the trigger for a deal 8 hours each way. Get it over with this week. I hate burning time on this search, plus its taking time away from my efforts at work. At the end of the day I wont miss a few extra $$$ in my bank account, but it is worth it to travel to get the car you want.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0