View Single Post
      02-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
iceboss23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

The track tire thread

Hey all. There are a number of discussions about track tires spread through other threads here but most of them are combined with discussions on fitment and wheel selection. I'd like this thread to focus on discussion about tires specifically and for people to share experiences with different brands and models as relates to overall grip(dry and wet), responsiveness, turn in, durability, cost effectiveness, stiffness, and any other things related to track performance. What I personally don't care about for a track tire but others may is: noise, ride quality, looks/tread pattern not related to performance, and anything strictly related to street driving.

That said, below is a small list of the tires I have seen discussed and a basic summary of what I understand about them based strictly on reading reviews. Clearly this will need to be fleshed out and added to by you all.

Comments and criticism welcome... this is the internet after all.

Bridgestone RE-71R - right now seems like everyone's fav due to 200 UTQG rating for AutoX. Reviews glow about grip but not so much about durability and cost effectiveness.

Michelin PSS - Stock tire for many. Widely praised as best combo street/track tire. Decent grip, decent durability, decent price. Outperformed by more focused tires.

Dunlop Star Spec - Less written about this tire but what is there is generally positive. Better durability than RE-71Rs but less performance and more expensive.

Nitto NT-05/NT-01 - I haven't found a whole lot of people on here talking about Nittos but in other places they seem to be very popular. Very interested in feedback about these. Seem like most affordable option. How do they hold up?

Hankook RS-3/4 - Generally well liked by those that have used them and talk about them here. TR reviews don't glow. Another tire we could use more info on.

Pirelli P Zero Troffeo - Haven't heard anyone really talk about these and there's nothing on TR.

Yoko Advan AD08 - Very highly praised on TR for grip and overall performance with decent durability and cost.

Toyo R888 - Widely varying opinions on these. Some people love them and others not so much.

This is obviously not a comprehensive list or thorough research. If you've used these or others and are willing to share your data (cost, lap time changes, number of days before rotating/replacing...) or subjective opinions I think it would be a great help to the community.
Appreciate 0