Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Wow, a bunch of smarty pants. Thanks for the pointers, but thats not the point here. Its an option available on cars half the price of ours. I don't need a navigation, I could read a map prior or stick my iphone on my windhield; I don't need a rear camera or pdc, I could use my eyes and even take my head out the window when i have to back up to something real close. I don't need a heated steering wheel, I could wear gloves when I first start my cold car. I do not need tpms to display when I have a low tire, I have psi measurer that I could use to check my tires every couple weeks. I don't need brake assist, I don't need lane departure warning, its called paying attenntion while driving. Guess what thats what I did on my bare bones stock E92 with manual leatherette seats for 9 years. So you definitely missed my point here. You pay $57,000 for a car, it'be nice to have an option thats standard on $20,000 cars. Maybe a parent or gf or a close friend would need to borrow the car sometime and it could benefit them more than some of us.
You are comparing apples to oranges. The needs of someone buying a $20K car and I wouldn't even say $20K car. I would say normal sedan b/c I would expect similar options in a $20K sedan and the BMW 3 series vs. the person buying a M car who has a completely different sets of priorities, one of which if we look at the options you see as optional should also include the deletion of blind spot detection.

The $57K is buying you the 370HP engine, mongo size bushing, sport tires, etc. not things like blind spot detection. If it was included then the price would be $58K for an option that if we are like you would not want and be upset that we had to pay for it. So maybe BMW got that one right.

I don't know and maybe others do but my guess as to why we even have lane departure, brake assist and probably even TPMS are to placate the insurance industry and b/c they are, again guessing, the 3 top reasons people get into accidents? Which is reinforced by the number of people that have been pleasantly surprised by their insurance rates for this car.
Oh so if you are makin that point, blind spot detection wont benefit insurance rates then?