02-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #26
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Nice diagram. Its been the same basic idea for years but great to see younger drivers getting the information. Remember a quick head check is also a powerful tool unless you're a Jedi, but even then....

My M2 is my first car with Lane Departure warning. MY 2013 A8L did not have it nor blind spot warning. Our 2015 Q7 has the Blind spot warning but not the lane departure warning, go figure. It is VERY nice on that behemoth but I still turn my behemoth head and look! I was in a loaner A4 a few years ago which had the blind spot warning which I reproducibly confirmed and the dealer later confirmed DID NOT SEE SEMI-Trucks! VERY ODD. It saw other cars just fine, but if a Semi was there it saw NOTHING! So just as Luke Skywalker did, TURN OF THE NAVI COMPUTER and LOOK!

Mike
Actually.. Luke didn't have to look... he learned to used the force ...

But I agree with your 100 percent on turning your head with blind spots systems and rear parking distance systems also. I can't tell you how many parking lot accidents I have handled where BOTH parties said... " I can't be at fault.. my car has backup sensors and they didn't go off "!. . There is no battle of the sensors .. it's up to the driver to TURN THEIR HEAD... If I find a driver doesn't turn their head. (Because that's always my next question.. " so when did you SEE the other vehicle ? " .. ) they are getting at least 50 percent of the blame for the collision.

My girl drives a Cadillac CTS coupe and i would say that it's blind spot detection is very impressive. That car has massive blind spots that you pretty much cannot eliminate with mirrors ( because the rearward visibility is so poor ) and it's necessary to have a system that's very well designed because a driver has to rely on the backup camera and blind spot detection when backing up in that vehicle.
Appreciate 0