View Single Post
      12-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Having used everything from run flat blizzaks to ws80 non run flats to continentals (cant remember which ones now currently cheap general altimax - my rwd 330i (with limited slip diff) has been equally good in snowy conditions with each of the different tires (within a small margin). the biggest loss is dry weather handling - the Generals are very squirmy at anything more than 55mph. At 75mph on the nye thruway, I find myself counter steering and correcting quite a bit.

We recently added a 14 GTI to the driveway for my spouse - there was a $70 michelin rebate offer for the Xi3 last month - it is the best all around snow I have driven on. It performs very well in cold gritty deep snow, ice and slushy warmer (31/32 degrees) snow. Best of all they are no louder that the pilot super sports that we run in the summer, and they have a fairly stable and sporty feeling in the dry - despite the additional sidewall of a 16" vs the oem 18".

Having used several brand snow tires - the worst snow tire is better than the best "all season" in the snow and slush. I think snows should be mandatory in my part of the country that gets the risk of 3-4 months for snowy days. That said, next set I buy for my old bmw will be a set of the michelins.