08-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #93
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
funny that I just picked up an M2 manual recently and my brother will be picking up a base low mileage manual 997.2 this weekend. I'm very interested to compare. My M2 was about $63k OTD new, and his will be about $57k used, which is pretty similar.

Design:
As I mentioned in this post earlier, I prefer the look of M2 which is more "in your face" than Porsche's never ending classic round lines.

Value:
Most definitely 997.2 will depreciate slower at this point and won't be surprised to see the value go up in 10 years, not as crazy like the 993 but I can see this 997 appreciate fairly well. Definitely will be a popular car for 911 fans.

M2 will somewhat hold its value better than any of the current new M car line up due to high demand and low supply. To add, historically the small old M cars have been very popular among the enthusiasts.

Performance:
This is totally my prediction since I haven't driven the 997 yet.
M2 obviously has higher output both hp/tq. M2 is easier to drive faster and I think it will be the faster car between the 2. But as always faster doesn't mean "funner" or engaging. I'm betting 911 will be much more engaging, needs more attention to go fast and you will feel like you actually drove your car instead the car's help. I'm pulling these thoughts from my experience with some of the older sports cars such as E30M, s2000, RX7, MR2, 300zx, and some brand new exotics like 570s, 650s..

Practicality:
M2 wins hands down. just look at the size of that back seat vs. 911's. look at all the nannies the car comes with. look at the TQ figure. This segment is what gets people buying the M cars. M3's have been compared to 911's for generations and this has been something M cars are really better at.

Will report after this weekend

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0