Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Buddy of mine pre-ordered one. I mean its nice, I like the concept of zero maintenance and free "gas". Car looks nice, base model is gonna lack in performance so will need to spend another X amount of money to step up. They also need to get more supercharger stations, we only got 4 here and closest one is like half hour away.

If I had one near by and places where I usually go, and if $35-37k would get you a loaded version then I would be very interested considering I actually like the car when I see it.
There is no such thing as maintenance free. It's still a car. It still has brakes and suspension and A/C and all the myriad other things that break/wearout on cars. Batteries do NOT last forever, and the cost of replacing the battery pack will pay for one heck of a lot of oil changes. A friend of mine has a Model S, it has been LESS reliable than my 328i.

Electricity is also not free. It may be cheaper than gas, but it is definitely not free. Kind of expensive where I live, actually, at ~$.22/kw/hr delivered.

If I had a regular commute I would be interesting in an electric commuter car. But not a $35K sedan, I would want a $100/mo leased eSmart.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0