View Single Post
      12-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #86
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
Yes, it sounds like it is, even though I feel that most won't be able to get their hands on one of those anyway, it will most likely still burst the bubble a bit on the high resale values.
BTW, did you see my previous post regarding the S55? I'm genuinely curious about the difference to the N55 and why it would be such a big deal.

FWIW, I just got a notification a used M2 I am watching. Seller dropped his asking price by $2k and is now at $49.9k. Granted this one has 9k miles. Still think it's too much money, but its further proof of the market conditions.
Prices might not plummet (unless BMW decides to become a charity organization and offer the M2 Comp with no price hike from the base M2), but they have reached a point when they will continue to depreciate at a normal pace... or at least a normal M-car pace. Waiting will mean lower prices, as it does with all cars... but not necessarily drastically lower (unless that charity scenario arises).

S55 is a better engine, but the N55 is a really great engine too. S55 is closed deck, twin turbo and a bunch of other upgrades... some of which made it to the N55, some of which did not. N55 is open deck, twin-scroll single turbo. S55 has more tuning headroom stock, N55 has some room but would need a new turbo to get a lot more. S55 is a typical twin turbo that kicks you in the pants when it hits. N55 is smoother and more like an NA engine. Both are about the same emissions-wise. S55 sounds like a loud, sustained fart when revved. N55 sounds awesome, has wonderful crackle and burble, and brings smile to your face.

Under regular use, you will likely never need more than the N55 can give you in the city or cross country on winding roads just enjoying being alive. If you like to occasionally goose it and scare yourself... the N55 will do that too. If you like to track, like stoplight drag racing or other illegal activities, or just like bragging rights, you will need more.
Appreciate 0