02-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #9
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
In my opinion, right now is the worst time to buy an M2, used or new. Buying new is dumb b/c they're about to announce the next M2 in a few months. The current LCI will be outdated in a year and a half. And until that announcement this summer/release of the new car next year, prices on used one's probably won't drop much.

Also you don't want a MY16. The early cars had idrive 4 and a shittier amp and a few recalls for things like brake dust shields and the soda can crunch noise. Either wait a few months for better deals on the 17/18's or order a brand new s55 M2. Trust me, you'll thank yourself later.
Glad you stated this as an opinion; as we know, opinions are like . . . . . everyone has one.

I think it comes down to what are you expecting from the car and what are your intended uses? If you think you are buying a "collectible" car, some sort of an investment, then, could I interest you in a bridge I have for sale?

No one on this board knows what the 2019 model year refresh is going to be like, other than the reputed swap of the N55 engine for the detuned S55. Whatever the merits of the new engine, this is NOT like the swap of the S54 for the S52 in the old Z3M Coupe at the end of its run, 240 hp vs. 315. Rather, this is more like starting out with what is already an overpowered car, for most uses, and then adding a little bit more power to it. And the new engine or the car overall could turn out to be very problematic; no one can know at this point.

And then, the 2019 will again be refreshed in 2020, and then maybe BMW will stop making MT cars altogether. This will happen, the only question is when.

Not buying now is basically just having faith that what comes out next will be better. It might be, but then it might not be. Some believe that the M2 is no improvement on the 1M; I'm in that camp myself. Fortunately I have one, but I'll use the M2 in ways I'd avoid using the 1M, because I want to own it forever. As to the M2? Not so sure, about the one I have on order, nor whatever they will be making a few months or a few years from now.