View Single Post
      05-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #109
loxxrider
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, CTTS, 200 20v...

I realize it's been "known" for a long time, but the lack of a unique or at least "M-unique" engine is really frustrating. I can deal with the weight if the engine is truly special. I can also deal with a "normal" engine a little more readily if there are significant weight savings included like I expect we'll see by 2020 or so in the form of CFRP or CF/Al body structures in mainstream BMWs.

I really feel we're on the verge of having a much better 2 series in a few years. I believe we are on the edge of the cliff in terms of this dated, heavy, all-metal design for cars and in a few years we will see a whole new ballgame. BMW does now have the largest CF production facility in the world after all... and it is confirmed that the 7 series will be getting significant carbon use in the chassis design. It's only a matter of time before the tech is integrated into every vehicle in the BMW line.

This also means we're probably nearly at the end of the hp war. With lighter vehicles, we will not need the same horsepower to achieve the same performance we are getting now. Imagine a 2900 lb M2 with any engine a few years from now. That's the one I really want. Of course, the option for a manual transmission will probably be gone at that point and that will be the end of BMW for me. I'll never buy another new car when it comes to that (except maybe for my future wife )

ANYWAY, I too find the color choices quite drab and think the power increase over an M235i is fairly lame as well. This feels like a marketing car rather than what an M is supposed to be. I know the M3/4 are big and heavy, but they still feel very M-like to me. They're special the way the E39 M5 was special. They're the new M5 and we need a new M3. I don't think the M2 is that car. Sorry for the rambling, but I do feel a little let down.

However, I suspect I'd quite like it if I drove one and I'd probably be damned close to buying one if I did. Noone else offers a manual trans, RWD, refined package quite like BMW does. It seems like a safe bet to wait it out for the next generation 2 though if you can muster the patience. Then again, I'm not too interested in a four cylinder M as I already have one of those! The aural bliss that is a BMW I6 is something I must have. OK, I'm done. I swear!
Appreciate 0