11-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #38
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd View Post
In Long Island NY and Queens, 6 brand new 2018s been sitting for months. MSRP 58-61.5K. dealers will give $1500-2000 off. Not enough incentive. All mainly DCT.
Perception is reality and as soon as CS is officially announced, the discount will greater and the 2016-2017 market will fall. Its a waiting game, don't rush. I have to laugh at used dealerships in the tri state NY area that have 2016 with 10-15K miles on speedo asking $56-60K still LMAO....they too have sat for 90 plus days.
When I was looking at used 1Ms for purchase, more than 2.5 years ago, I looked at all the "usual places," like craigslist, ebay, autotrader, etc. I ultimately bought my car off of ebay, and it was shipped from Canada.

Several of the 1Ms that I saw listed for sale back then, are STILL for sale, by the same dealers, and the prices have not been reduced. Most of them were undesirable for one reason or another, such as prior accidents, mediocre physical condition, etc. Still, they remain on the lot with the same dealers for sale and prices have not necessarily budged.

One can speculate why this would be the case; it obviously makes no economic sense. One possible explanation is that the dealers have no intention of selling these cars except for more than they are worth, that the presence of the car on their lots, in their showrooms, is for the purpose of attracting "traffic," so that people can then be sold something else. When viewed like that, the carrying cost of the vehicle is basically a part of their advertising/marketing budget.

Obviously, having multiple, overpriced, 2018 M2s on your lot is pretty stupid from any perspective.
Appreciate 0