F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
I think they mostly work in tension?
Not quite because the braces themselves are not flat they are curved. So when the strut towers move up and also towards the engine you get: bending, torsional and tensional forces through the brace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
What are your thoughts of these braces vs doing the m4 brace install now that you can pick up the m4 brace for $6-700. I think last thread I saw put total cost of conversion at maybe $1200. Need to go back and find that thread.
I would still buy these turner motorsports braces and for a few reasons:

1) the labor to install the m4 brace is immense, because you have to change the strut tops out.

2) I think the main part of the m4 brace's performance is not from the carbon fiber boomerang itself but from the aluminum fire wall brace. Why do I think this? Because the carbon brace only has 2 bolts holding it in at the front and a long piece of unbolted carbon going to the back where the aluminum brace is. This means you have a very long section of free moving carbon fiber which is susceptible to flexing. I also looked at the videos of retrofits when you see them bolt down the brace you can see a massive amount of flex. This leads me to believe the bmw brace isn't as rigid as the turner brace maybe due to the carbon fiber that is used combined with the long sections that aren't bolted down meaning a longer area to act as leverage, meaning more flex.

This is why I don't think it's as effective as the turner brace, the part that is good is the large aluminum fire wall brace. However I think if you get the turner braces + a cheap strut tower brace youd easily match and exceed the level of performance the m4 brace gives.

3) whenever you want to do spark plugs or change the intake filter so much needs to be removed in the case of the m4 brace so again it's more inconvenient.
ZM22827.50