View Single Post
      10-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by photos_by_ronnie View Post
No, I promise the car was NOT even close to being driven hard. I have driven a lot of cars hard, but I have yet to drive my M2 hard. And the first time this happened I didn't even have it floored, it was 80% throttle and around 90-100 mph when it happened. I used to drive my Mustangs at 130-155 for several minutes, sometimes almost an hour at a time without even the slightest bit of heat issues and definitely no limp mode.

Only "mod" on the car is a cat less downpipe, but that shouldn't affect the drivetrain. Keep in mind, this is not a check engine light, this comes up as a different light with the idrive saying "drivetrain malfunction".

The drivetrain malfunction lights can be triggered by several things. The car goes into limp mode to protect it so when it goes into that mode its doing what its supposed to. You will need to let your dealership determine what sensor is triggering this code otherwise it will just continue to come up. I had an issue with a wheel bearing on my 06 330i that only got triggered at over 85, took the dealer a couple of times to figure it out but once they did it never happened again over the remaining 165,000 miles I drove the car.

Not entirely sure that downpipe isn't the issue. Again drivetrain can be engine, transmission, or diff so if the math doesn't add up between those sensors the car is going to do what it thinks it needs to in order to protect itself. Better to have that happen than something critical take place and you lose a component at 120.
Appreciate 3
SoCalRob281.00
DrKevM52281.00