Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportySpice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I'm also in Dallas. I rode sportbikes in this city for nearly a decade (yes, partially to commute to work) and lived in Europe for several years, so believe me when I say I have broken the driving culture here down to a science -- if I hadn't, I'd probably be dead.

(I'm about to say some things that some may consider borderline racist, but they're not -- they're cultural. Big difference.)

The left-lane hogs here are numerous, but can be broken down into several categories:
- Those who do it on purpose to assert some form of superiority
- Those who are clueless to their surroundings, and who consider the road theirs and no one else's
- Those who (as mentioned previously) think the left lane is the fastest lane, even if it's going slower consistently
- Those who consider the left lane inherently safer because large traffic (trucks, 18-wheelers) doesn't use it -- or can't by law, as on I-30 westbound from just outside of Dallas through Fort Worth
- Those who come from cultures where the left lane is actually the slowest (this is my theory with some Asian drivers) or where there is even less lane discipline than in the U.S. (i.e., much of Latin America)

When riding a motorcycle in city traffic, you learn quickly how to 'profile' drivers by the types of vehicles they're driving -- and you learn just as quickly that there is a cultural pattern present no matter what's being driven. Among the left-lane hogs are:
- Some people of African descent. I can't say African Americans because I frankly don't know for certain. But there is a distinct cultural component here that has to do with asserting superiority and 'being noticed'.
- Certain Asians. Especially west Asians: Japanese, Koreans, some Chinese, Vietnamese. This is a cultural aversion to taking bodily risks in these cultures, so first- and second-generation Asians tend to drive slow and very purposefully.
- Some Latin Americans. Some won't speed no matter what the traffic around them is doing. Why? Probably because they're minimizing their chance of being pulled over. Why? They're likely illegal, or have something illegal in the vehicle.)

I've spoken to cops about all of this -- including motorcycle cops. The statements above were all backed up by their experiences as well.

That said, there are other left-lane hogs here:
- The aforementioned 'clueless' driver distracted by other things. Tends to be middle class or higher and drive a relatively boring vehicle. Businessmen, 'soccer' moms, nascent dystopes, etc.
- Some outwardly religious and conservative types (we have more than our fair share here) who basically consider it a sin to even think about breaking any law -- even a speed limit. Combine that with cluelessness and/or ignorance, and well ...
- The 'I was here first' crowd. Basically, these are faster folk who, if they're in the left lane and you come up on them, they will not move over no matter what. (I usually buzz by on the right, then swing back into their lane quickly. Half the time this wakes them up, and they get over. Eventually.)
- Travelers who are simply trying to get through an area they're unfamiliar with as quickly as possible.

When I rode -- and, now, when I drive -- I do my best to stay ahead of traffic. It keeps you alive. So I weave, safely: always use turn signals, never change lanes in someone else's blind spot, etc. You have to to keep speed up. I flash headlights sometimes, but only once or twice -- after that, I look for an opportunity to pass. On the right. Even on an Interstate where it's illegal, because the cops here know as well as we do that lane discipline can't be legislated, so if you pass on the right within reason and safely, they pretty much won't do anything.
Sounds like you're saying left lane hogs can be anyone and it really depends on the individual.

I think they're driven by laziness (pun intended) and don't want to deal with switching lanes again until they need to exit the highway, other drivers be d@mned.
Ha. And touche. I can see how someone might read that post and find a way to apply it to anyone. But that's not the case -- it basically identifies the several types of people that are most likely to hog the left lane in my city, not the several types of people that exclusively hog it.

Just yesterday, driving up U.S 75 from downtown in midafternoon (speed limit: 75. General flow speed: about 65, since it was still icy here and there) there was a beat-up 2007-ish gold Camry in the left lane doing about 50. Who was driving? A man of African descent, leaned over to one side of his seat and talking on his cell. He looked me straight in the eye and smirked as I (and several others) passed him on the right. I tracked him in my mirror afterward; he never moved over, sped up, or changed his pattern.

That's not laziness, man. That's abject contempt. In my book, that is reckless driving as heinous as someone speeding by 25 mph in the right lane.
Appreciate 0