View Single Post
      06-25-2017, 11:53 PM   #12
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
I remember hearing the insurance bmw provides for ED covered the ring because it's a public road. Is that accurate?
It is a public road...but I have no idea what insurance BMW provides (read the documentation very closely with a new car - but honestly, you need to break in tires and swap pads for something like The Ring anyway). You can get a rental for around $500 USD that is track-prepped and insured (albeit high deductibles). If its the first time on the Ring, you shouldn't even be considering lap times. Go out there, stay to the right and don't do anything stupid. If you aren't over-driving, you'll be fine and its just like a canyon run. My first two laps were SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. My last four laps (first time there) were also SLOW, SLOW, AND SLOW but I was picking up pace in certain corners.

Its an incredible experience to be out on that track/road - I don't think I've ever experienced anything like it in the US. I was driving a FWD track-prepped car and I would have been even more cautious in a near 400hp RWD car. You aren't going to set a lap record out there...you just aren't. Drive within yourself, check your mirrors and stay to the right when faster cars (yes, the 120hp Miata is faster than you) come through. Don't even try to hang with the track-preped Porsches...great way to go off and end in a wall.
Appreciate 0