View Single Post
      12-19-2016, 11:13 PM   #102
lpak
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 (MT/AW)

I think i'm as confused as most. I have family connection who is the senior race engineer for the V8 Supercars here in Australia and reached out to him for advice;

(1) Modern engines and equipment "break-in" very quickly but do require some hard pulls. He figured the factory would of done this.

For their cars, they do a few dino pulls, spend a couple hours "breaking" it in (quite aggressive by the sounds of it). Then, every race day they warm up the car for an hour and it's ready for racing. So from a performance stand-point, that's all folks. No 2000km run in, not even close.

He did qualify that they rebuild the engine every 3500km so it's not apples and apples with a production car that is (hopefully) going to do 200,000+km. That is, they are not concerned with longevity like we are.

(2) He was pretty adamant that the worst thing you can do to your car is drifting/sliding at any stage in the car's life. Once the wheels let go and then grab again, there are lots of reverse torques going through the drive train that put serious strain on the parts.

His advice was to warm everything up, keep the nannies on and go hard, kiss the limiter at times, and shift. It's designed for that but don't hang out with WOT banging on the limiter and don't drift - keep traction.

(3) DISCLAIMER
He also said to follow the BMW advice. This was in connection to both the points of longevity and "are they watching you".

To this later point, does anyone have any substantiated evidence that BMW does void the warranty? Does anyone know what they are tracking? is it 1 second sampled data for the history of the car or simply a recording of "Max revs"?

I have the M2 MT and the throttle blip wacks it up on aggressive downshifting.
Appreciate 0