10-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #263
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
To answer your last question: because the M2 and M4 are very different cars, especially around a twisty track. It depends on what you as a driver wants. I could have bought an M4 but chose not to drive a bathtub around

One other thing to keep in mind is that there is zero guarantee the M2 production will continue past MY20, since the car was always planned for a 5 year run. BMW will at that point have moved the 2-series to the fwd platform and who knows what will happen.

There was a thread in here recently from the head of M talking about how the M2 was the last pure sports car they would make before the shift to awd/hybrid/electric starts.
I'm in the same boat, no pun intended. The M4 is not really what I want due to size. But in reality, it weighs nearly the same, and one might be able to tune some of that larger feel out of it with some suspension mods. On the track they seem to be very evenly matched and it it comes down to just feel, well sure, the M2 might feel lighter and nimbler, but in reality it isn't lighter nor faster.
FWIW, that I why I have an e46 M3, and you don't have to sell me on the idea of the M2 ;-). I generally agree with you and would also rather have it over the M4, BUT within reason (price wise).

I did not know that about the next generation 2 series. Although I kind of doubt they will go FWD. They've been saying that for decades. The M2 in it's current form would make a worthy successor to the M3, since it is moving up to GT car. If you are right, then the current M2 might very well hold it's value much better than I suggested.
Appreciate 0