View Single Post
      11-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #102
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyM View Post
It seems you don't know the values of leasing..

I'll give you a good example of a BMW lease that I did a few years ago which saved me THOUSANDS.. just because I leased.
I leased a Z4 35is in 2011. I leased it for $389 a month. ZERO down. 24 payments and I returned it and that was that..

Total out of pocket: $9,330 + insurance and gas

Financing the same car would have cost about $1,000+ a month and that's at 72 months.. why? Because it was $72,xxx MSRP.
Now do you want to know what happened after 2 years of leasing?
I owed like 59k on the car because I had already gotten like 3k off MSRP.

The market value was 41k with 26,000 miles.
I avoided paying $17-$18,000 in value because BMW was pushing the leases so aggressively.

Imagine if I had financed.. $69,000 at 72 months with zero down @ 3.89% is about $1,100.. minus the $120 in interest, you'd be left with $1,000 being taken off principal. 24 months x 1,000 = $24,000.
$69,000 - $24,000= $45,000

So not only would I have been paying MUCH MUCH MUCH more a month for financing, I also get footed a "Hey, your car is worth less than what you owe after two years"
So will I lease if it's FINANCIALLY SMART.. Absolutely.

I don't understand people who want to own an out of warranty german vehicle anyway. It's prone to breaking and you know it.

tldr;

Leasing cost: $9,330 + gas/insurance
Financing cost: $27,000 (interest included) + $4,000 (negative eq.) = $31,000 + gas/insurance.

Worth of same said Z4 35is these days. $19k on a good day.

So basically I could have been driving new cars and enjoying them immensely for pennies on the dollar relatively or buy a car, pay a LOT more than it's worth to me... get it out of warranty (let's not get into how much it'll bore you driving 50k miles in a Z4 for 5-6 years).

Yeah.. no thanks. Financing a car is dumb if leasing is an open option.

Finance if you truly want to keep it forever but just realize.. one day that car is a POS after 100k miles (whatever car it is).
But, my statement holds true, all you did was pay for BMW's predicted depreciation and then give the car back to them, right? Does BMW's prediction align with market 100% of the time... well no, but it's hard to predict the future of car values.

I never said leasing is not a good option. Look at my previous post here, I said I lease, finance, and own different cars I have. So, no need to get worked up over nothing.

I like leasing for probably the same reason you do:
1) Slightly cheaper
2) Less financial impact if in a car accident
3) New vehicles all the time
4) Under warranty / maintenance plan
Appreciate 0