jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
This doesn't apply to North American cars, let me explain. Above the ignition button there is another smaller button to turn off the automatic engine deactivation (a.k.a. the start-stop) that turns off the engine when idling at say a stop sign or red light.

For US/Canada cars, once you press that button, the car remembers your setting and it will remain that way until you change it again - i.e. once it's off, it stays off until you press it again. This has something to do with NHTSA requirements for start-stop systems.

In most other international markets, once you press that button, the car will remember it for that one time, and will reset once you turn off the car. When you turn the car back on, you have to press it again. For 99% of M2 buyers, this is a huge PITA, as I presume most of us aren't using the feature.

So that is why most people code it, but we in NA don't have to worry about it.
Thanks, I should have read your post before I replied to the last one. I'm thinking of getting my car coded so I'm interested in these threads to see what my options are and what other people are doing. I know there's a very lengthy thread with spreadsheets and all that I need to dive into at some point. Until I started reading these forums, I didn't know coding was a thing. Now I'm thinking of getting all three of my Bimmers coded if only just to get rid of the nagging iDrive warning confirmation screen on start.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. I realize it is supposed to be about ASD.