View Single Post
      03-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #17
JustAWhisper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 M3, 2018 M2

I think spelling out the total expected use of the car will help you make your decision.

If you plan to keep the car stock-ish and just drive it on the street, the M2C is probably a better car, but you'll just have to decide if the extra money is worth it to you. I felt an 2018 M2 was a good compromise and I'm happy with my purchase.

A few notes here that haven't been brought up if you plan to autocross or track your car:

1. The stock brakes on the M2C are unnecessarily large and prevent fitting common 18 inch track wheels. While the stock 19 inch wheels are fine for a daily driver and are even decently light, they have less tire options than 18 inch wheels for autocross/track days, and the tires that are available are significantly more expensive. You'll save thousands over the life of the car if you autocross or track with any frequency. You can fix the problem by fitting an aftermarket BBK (most of which are actually smaller than the stock brakes), but installing smaller stock brakes is illegal in almost all autocross and time trial rulesets that I know of. HPDE's you can do what you want, though.

2. The M2C has less front fender clearance, which makes fitting wider front wheels and tires more difficult on a car that's already difficult to fit wider front wheels and tires. I haven't test fit myself, but I believe the M2C is effectively limited to 265 width tires, whereas the OG M2 can do 285 with some fenagling.

3. Finally, weight. On the street, you won't notice the M2C's substantial weight penalty, but it will definitely show up in autocross and on smaller tracks. I've seen comparison tests that show OG M2's beating F80 M3's on smaller tracks, and the M2C is slightly heavier than an F80 M3. You can take some of the weight gain out if you start modifying the car, but the OG M2 will always be a bit lighter and have a bit better weight distribution.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 2