Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Had a friend that was at BMW training in Thermal Springs and heard direct from the M bigwigs that early development M2 had S55 in it but it outperformed the M4 significantly on track, thus the reduced power output for the current model. I thought it was interesting he told me that as it's the first confirmation I have heard to that German forum rumor that so many discounted.
Another interesting thing - current M2 pulls over 1.1g on every corner on the Nurburgring.
Interesting.

This might also explain the comment by a German source on 2erTalk claiming that the M2 featuring an S55 engine is already completed since quite some time:
"The S55 is already a long time inside the F87!
It's lapping the Nürburgring Nordschleife already for more than a year!"
"Den S55 gibt es schon lange im f87!
Der dreht schon über ein Jahr auf der NOS seine Runden!"

(source: here)
"The car as such [M2 powered by an S55 engine] is already ready since a long time"
"das auto an sich ist schon lange fertig"
Earlier he quoted that the M2 featuring an S55 engine turned out to be "over 8 seconds faster than an M4" on the Nürburgring Nordschleife (which would mean a 07:43 to 07:44 lap time):
"The M2 sporting the S55 was more than 8 seconds faster than the M4 on the Nürburgring Nordschleife!"
"der m2 mit s55 war auf der nos über 8 sekunden schneller als der m4!"
So what can we conclude, if all the above is accurate:
  • BMW M started developing the M2 by squeezing the S55 into an M235i body;
  • as that little monster got way too deep into (or even beyond) the M3/M4 comfort zone, a 'softer' N55 version was added: the M2 base version;
  • the S55 version is kept under wraps for MY2018 and likely baptized "M2 CS".
As commented earlier on (see the first post of this thread), Scott26 repeatedly hinted to the existence of both an M2 base version + a more aggressive M2 'sibling'.

Ah, let's dig up this post again in the future and check whether it was spot-on or a miss.
Actually I think it's time to start digging up those threads with the " M235 racing update " last year.

I have absolutely no doubt that they have been Testing in plain sight..... And that the car that was assumed to be a 235 racing update that had the tacked on body panels is the mule.

Probably just need to go back to the videos and listen for farting
Appreciate 0