04-17-2024, 06:13 AM   #613
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90convert View Post
I would be very surprised to learn that Honda does not test every Honda Genuine oil supplier. It is very common in the automotive engineering world to test supplier changes. Even for simple things such as fasteners. Simple supplier changes can have a large impact on coating friction coefficients which changes your statistical distribution for clamp load. Going from one supplier to the next on a seemly identical part could be the difference between screws loosening and not! I have seen this first hand

Looking at the 2019 NSX owners manual, it is disappointing the lack of specificity. They seem to cover themselves with the "notice" that implies the user must use the Honda Genuine oil for guaranteed operation. The probably make that statement because it was the only oil they tested in that engine.

American manufacturers have stepped up their oil speccing game recently. Ford and GM have pretty precise engine oil requirements for a lot of their special motors! The Mobil 1 Super Car oil is a pretty neat concept.
I don't they test it, they probably just have the manufacturers blend it to a certain standard that they have established. But I can't find a single voa of honda genuine oil to see if it varies from region to region so I can't confirm that.

Edit - I lied I found one spec sheet: http://pqiadata.org/Honda_0W20.html

It looks ok, noack is over 10% and would fail European standards, additives are ok - but probably not good for lspi (it's going to be an issue on their tiny 1.5L turbo motors) since it's calcium heavy (that's what you get for not having API sn+) you can find better with pennzoil, mobil, motul etc.

Yep I was wrong about the nsx.

On a side note I read my Acura owners manual and it's still 5w20, nothing about using only Honda oil etc.

So what American manufacturers are getting more stringent? European manufacturers have been even more stringent for decades now. It also doesn't mean that you have to run oe oils, you can run aftermarket oils with oe approvals. And guess what, like we have established over and over in this thread, those aftermarket oe certified oils are superior to oe oils....

Well at the end of the day it's up to you what oil you run, we get that your a proponent of running only OEM oils and trusting that the OE has validated it to the extremes. However as oil analysis and tests have shown time and time again, oe oil isn't the best you can always do better in the aftermarket. For instance take any of bmw's genuine oil and compare it to a top tier LL01 oil (certified by bmw) and you'll see the top tier aftermarket oils trump the genuine bmw oils easily.

So why wouldn't want the additional protection? You may argue that bmw has tested their oils and ensured that wear is appropriate. Then why would LL01 even exist? Why wouldn't it be just LL01FE? There are plenty of UOA tests showing better results and less shearing with non fe oils on track anyways.

So like I said before you run whatever you want, we get that you trust the OE fully, but for the rest of us capable of seeing the data showing LL01 is vastly superior to LL01FE and the top tier LL01 oils are vastly better than the genuine bmw oils. We will run those.