View Single Post
      01-24-2018, 11:41 PM   #21
Bucnole10
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by teombe View Post
Funny you mention that... About a week after I took delivery of my M2, I did one of the "courses" at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. I wasn't planning for the timing to be that way, but I signed up a few months prior since my wife and I were going to be visiting family in GA anyway.

I drove the 911 GTS, since it was the most powerful non-GT Porsche (figured I'd probably hurt myself in a GT3), and it was fantastic. Meeting your heroes is always tricky, but the 991.2 fit me well - pretty much like I thought it would. I got enough seat time in the car at a fast enough pace to understand how it behaves under various cornering, braking, and acceleration loads. Here's what I learned from that day:

1) The current 911 really is as good as people say it is

2) The steel S-brakes on the GTS are awesome - probably more singularly impressive than the car's acceleration

3) The M2 at $60K acquits itself well against any Porsche short of a GT3 when you look at the whole package

4) I will be buying a 911 - but I would very much regret selling my M2 to buy it

After a month or so of driving my M2, I've come to the conclusion that the car is lightning-in-a-bottle good... Out of the box, it's insanely quick, handles well, brakes well, and has no real blind spots - making it easy to drive. More importantly, the car is probably one of the most engaging vehicles I've ever driven.

So, if I were you, I'd be getting an allocation for the M2 ASAP. Right now, you're probably about 100 days from inquiry to delivery. I'd skip the Cayman (you'll probably regret not buying a 911) and the TTRS (I haven't driven one, but the formula doesn't lend itself to being very expressive at low speeds). But you're on an M2 forum, so you know which way we're all leaning.

The thread is useless without pics, right? Here are a couple (yes, I am driving the car pictured... badly)
What a beautiful car! Sure looks like a good time. I'm dying to get to visit that place even if I decide to stay in the BMW family. Thanks for sharing your experience.

You summarized it perfectly-- even if I bought a Cayman or 911, I would still be drawn to the M2. As many have said on this forum, the M2 really is a steal in comparison to many other more expensive cars.
Appreciate 0