Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishmaster2k View Post
I'm not convinced the M2 is a loss leader or a halo car engineered to cross-sell. I truly do think they critically misjudged the demand for the vehicle, likely based on M235 sales, which would seem to be a reasonable statistical data point, but it turns out people are cross-shopping the M2 against a much wider array of vehicles, and what the M235 almost got right the M2 gets very right.

You have to also consider the number of different models currently in production. There isn't a ton of tooling space and given the assumption that M2 buyers would be only a percentage of M235i potential buyers, sticking it at Leipzig seems like a reasonable logistical choice to limit factory spanning of 2er production. Once you factor that in, it additionally seems pretty logical to keep options down to maximize the setup you already have as well as not disturb existing production flow.

I honestly think top brass said, "Hey, this is a neat little car we made, but it is kinda out of the price range of 2er buyers, and if you're going to pony up, most people are probably going to want the M3/4. We do want to sell it, our engineers dig it, but lets not go crazy because we already don't sell that many M235s." And then they went full court press with the media, probably thinking that they had better sell what few cars they do make. Turns out the car has the surprise magic sauce, everyone loves it, and here we are. Dunno how much room they have to pivot on the logistical choice, so we'll see. But for year 1, I think that's where we're at.

Just my crazy opinion, of course.
I agree with the halo camp. How could they misjudge the demand after the success of the 1M and considering the M2 and M235i cost about the same. Check this out...

I just built an AW M235i to match my fully loaded M2 and it came out to $52,728. My M2 was just over $56,800. So, a $4k difference in price.
Or an AW M235i with enough options to match a base AW M2?
M235i = $50,270 M2 = $52,695 $2400 difference

I would say the prices are very close even with the M235i missing the following items.

A real LSD, Standard 19" forged wheels(1200 option on the M3/4), M3/4 suspension, Engine upgrades, quad exhaust, M3/4 brakes, carbon fiber interior pkg, and wide body with more aggressive front and rear. Am I missing anything?

On top of that, think about the extra production cost for the M2(tooling changes, removing from assembly line, etc...

As you can see by the price difference and what would need to be added to the M235i, the M2 is no where near a money making machine at least compared to the M235i. In fact, if it was readily available, I think it makes the M235i coupe obsolete leaving only the need for the AWD and vert varieties. But, if the M2 made so much money why wouldn't they also ditch the vert for an M2 vert?
Aside from the price, I am going to bet that the convertible chassis bracing and supports that are on the 2 series may have been interfered with when using the grafted over M4 suspension. To redesign all these items for a low production convertible probably was too much.

As it is right now , it's pretty clear they were unprepared/didn't plan on selling a lot of M2 and certainly any convertibles would reduce the ability to build m2 anyway.
Appreciate 0