11-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #42
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
The M2 will probably be more fun at lower (street) speeds. It will be easier to steer with the right foot because it will have less grip overall. I like the overall size and traction vs power balance of the 1M, and the M2 should continue this. As speed climbs the chassis will prove less competent and it'll be less fun than the GT4. It likely won't be track-durable or warranted, so the combo would likely restrict it to a street car.

Things that could tip me towards the M2: a more composed chassis on/ over the limit, improved progressiveness over the limit at higher speeds, better track durability/ warranty. More suspension adjust-ability (camber, swaybars). All while not losing the playful/ sideways character.

The GT4 will probably have too much grip for its own good, making it less mobile and fun at low speeds. As speeds climb it will come into its own, however it'll probably always be more grip than would be ideal to get the chassis really moving around anywhere short of the track. It'll still be good fun up to 8/10ths, beyond which the rear suspension will let it down (vs a 911/ GT3) making it less progressive at the limit or rewarding over it. It will likely come with a warranty good for the track, good because that's where it'll be most fun.

Things that could tip me towards the GT4: more ability to steer with the right foot, especially at low speeds. A more playful/ progressive rear end at and over the limit. Improved power to weight ratio vs msrp.

I don't see the 4C as having the chassis tuning needed to go with its spec sheet, and wouldn't consider it. The GT350 or F Type R/ GT3 might make the list. The M3/ M4 won't- too big, as the AMG GT3 will likely be. I've got a few other cars, so I'm trying to fill a "fun, mostly street, serious driver's car" spot in the fleet.
I agree with your points on the M2, the Cayman and to some degree with the 911; however, respectfully, just like many of us, emotionally you are confusing yourself in one area I think.

You know very well that a car's street credentials mostly don't translate into track credentials. If the playful nature of a car combined with some practicality and usability is what you are looking for, I think the M2 will be hard to better by any Cayman or any 911.

I highly doubt and never seen a BMW perform better at the track than any Porsche of same era, may be my historical knowledge does not go far back enough. As we are seeing with the current F10, F13 F8x M series, once these cars get above a certain power to weight ratio, the rear end cannot keep enough traction due to that 'perfect' weight distribution BMW claims. As you mention, the Cayman and particularly the 911 has a much more mature and advantageous weight distribution for track performance and 911s rear suspension and latest gadgets (dynamic engine and transmission mounts) keep making it better. But that's for the track, I don't think any of that matters that much from a driving enjoyment perspective on the street. On the contrary, on the street, I think the Bimmers offer more lively and entertaining driving feel. Of course this is different for each person, but I believe people that have truly sampled the Porsches can relate to this, not the ones who have been visiting the marque as a tourist.

IMHO, the 911 and its GT3 variant has passed a point in which you really cannot savior its abilities on the street. And given its price point, it is no longer an attractive choice for me even as a dual-purpose car. As I was shopping for a new car this summer having been a Porsche customer for over 10 years, I just could not get excited with the Cayman GTS, nor the GT3. When I test drove the M3/4 however, it had a little bit of a hooligan attitude on the street that somehow appealed to me. I was not expecting to like the car and had never thought of getting a BMW, but it did and I ordered one. I am awaiting for delivery and a new adventure.

For track purposes, what's the point? I never won the DE championship regardless of Caymans or GT3 I had, so if I can get 80% of the enjoyment I got from those cars with an M4 (or even M2) for 50% of the price of a GT3, I think it is a great deal. We'll see of course, right now I am making a lot of assumptions.

Coming back to my initial point, if the M2 is going to be playful enough for street, and you have other means of tracking/racing, how would a Cayman GTS/GT4, 911 GT3 or even the F-type make more sense particularly given their price points? It is hard to find a more suitable car for daily driving than the current M cars in my opinion, and I am not even a BMW fan
Appreciate 1