View Single Post
      08-19-2018, 12:38 AM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by srswans View Post
The problem with the oil level display is that it does not tell you what the units are - it just shows max/min points. Is the space between max and min a quart? a liter?

My M2 was down about 20% between max and min after 5000 miles and, figuring that this was a quart, I added three ounces or 10%. I was expecting the gauge to move halfway back to the max level. But there was no change. I didn't add any more to avoid the more serious overfilled condition.

So I just gave up. If the car needs oil, it will tell me. It burns about %20 of (max-min) every 5000 so I just change the oil and live with it.

I track the car and this drives me crazy. But I guess the BMW engineers know what they are doing. (0w30 in a tracked car - don't get me started!)
huh, so far every time I check the oil it's right at the line before max. Changed every 5k miles. Car has not been tracked though, but so far it appears the car doesn't burn oil, or it's so little it's not worth showing me what it's burned. Annoying to have to rely on the computer to tell me something has changed.
Appreciate 0