View Single Post
      03-21-2024, 03:41 PM   #2
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba7523 View Post
I'd like some pointers on where to go from here. Obviously I need more seat time (and am getting addicted), but how do I gain more confidence? It's always in the back of my head that the car will lose grip and spin out.
Find a car control clinic. The best way to get more comfortable with the car at the limit is to gain more experience controlling the car at and beyond the limit. You can do this safely at a car control clinic. You’ll also just naturally with seat time catch enough small slides that it slowly becomes more instinctive.

Alternatively, a rally school is another great place to learn car control. I dream of eventually doing a week with Dirt Fish or Team O’Neal myself.

It’s slightly paradoxical but more seat time which is scary and at times uncomfortable will itself bring more confidence. When you’re new, it’s scary, and sensory overload but one of the most amazing things about human beings is our adaptability and this certainly applies to high intensity activities. Over time, you desensitize to it and what was scary and overwhelming becomes comfortable.

There are memes on this that basically go: First you’re scared, and you’re slow. The you gain confidence and get faster. Then you have a close call or wreck, and you lose confidence and you’re slow. The cycle repeats to infinity.

Good luck. Stick with it, and the nerves will give way to a peaceful joy. Which is partly why it’s addicting. You end up chasing the dragon needing more and more speed to get that same rush.

Last edited by ThreeStripes; 03-21-2024 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 2