03-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #60
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
I went to a BMW track day where we had the opportunity to drive the M2 and M4 back to back. I know the track well, and although they were paced laps it was enough to get some idea of how the cars felt and behaved.

M2 was first - it really is great on track, a little roll but still crisp, front end grip is fantastic, no understeer, a trace of oversteer as weight transfers and really easy to drive out of corners using throttle early to steer. Not a huge amount of feedback via wheel/seat when compared to, say, a Lotus Evora/Elise, but enough. Engine sounds sweet and tuneful.

M4 was set in Sport mode and of course has adjustable dampers so was firmer, flatter, had clearly more feedback. Funny as it looks a lot bigger so you think it will be heavier (which it isn't much) but it actually felt a touch more agile. Top end power is a step up, sound is more aggressive and animalistic and the car felt degrees more alive and responsive to inputs than the M2. Seriously impressive, at least on a wide, dry track.

I think if I were buying a car that I intended to track several times a year and had the funds (M4s are 50% more in Aus), the bigger car would get serious consideration - I don't necessarily think the M2 will steal that many sales from it on that basis.

Can't wait to drive the M2 on familiar roads....
Very interesting, thank you for the write up.
Appreciate 0