View Single Post
      09-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #193
poiuytre111
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 sdrive 1.8 & E81 120D

Having just driven a hire car with factory-fitted HUD, I want this in my BMW. From the web searching I have done, I have come to the opinion that no current after-market arrangement would meet my needs. Why ? well I already have a GPS near my eye-line on the dash which displays speed but I found that the benefits of having the HUD image focussed at the same distance as the road was what made the whole thing worth having, because anything less and your attention is diverted while you re-focus to read the "HUD" display. I post this because not enough is made of the need to deal with the issue of focus in any retro-fit "HUD" and I wouldn't want people to discover this only after shelling out a large sum for a supposedly "OEM" solution that differs from the factory fit HUD in this crucial regard.

Edit - OK, this after-market model appears to do the job as far as focus is concerned: http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/spx-hud01
"No need to refocus
Using a DLP projector for high contrast and deep colour saturation, the NavGate HUD projects navigation instructions on what looks like a 30-inch display, sitting about 3 metres in front of you, reducing re-focus times to almost nothing."

Last edited by poiuytre111; 09-13-2016 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0