02-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #16
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
The paint shop at the plant is very small and cannot accommodate special colors because it would require a complete shutdown of the production line to make the change to something nonstandard. In a plant running at full capacity, this would never happen. It may be a possibility when the remodeling of the plant, which includes an expansion of the paint shop, is complete. Your SA is misinformed.
Spar2k. Just trying to understand and not trying to be a smart arse.
My understanding Leipzig make 10 different BMW vehicles. I have been and worked on assembly lines and they all used the one line and the one paint shop for all the vehicles made. I assume BMW use the same system.
When you watch you car being made and the M2's before and after yours they do not get made all at once they seem to be made hours apart and Leipzig make approximately 20 M2's a day. My point being that they are going through the same paint area that the X1 goes through right?
The robots respond to the vehicle build # and therefore pickup the gun/color for that Build. Clearly the spray area is equipped to spray at least 10 different colors (likely way more). So all we are talking about is a change to the basic program for that vehicle. That is why they would charge you the special fee.
Maybe you know something I don't, but form my limited knowledge of these things does not seem that complicated for the robot to pick up an x-1 color instead of an M2 color.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0