12-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #17
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
I pulled the trigger 2 days ago but don't have a slot yet as I have not committed to a delivery method. Still thinking about the real cost of the ED. I could not pick up the car till May in Europe.
1 - Which means I have to wait till then.
2 - I have to wait another 2 months after that for the car to get to me. Which puts me into August. Could get a 2019 then (almost).
3 - There is no discount on Canadian cars for ED.
4 - I order it now I'll get a January build and have the car at the end of March or early April

I love the idea of the ED but it would be a really long wait. For those that have been there what are your thoughts?
My thoughts are wait until May and do the ED - it will be worth it. I wasn't going to have it any other way after being unable to do ED on my first new bimmer & the trip exceeded my lofty expectations. If I hadn't been lucky to find another allocation for early October after my original CA dropped the ball, I'd have waited until May, which was my original plan anyway until I calculated back in Jan that I could pull it off in Oct. Of course expenses on the trip vary wildly, but I spent less than I saved by getting the 5% ED discount (not that I cared - oops, just rem that you said Canada...). It took me a day short of 7 weeks to get my car (I'm on the east coast).