01-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #83
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Rolex has the unusual distinction of being THE high-end watch status symbol (for those who don't know watches), and also a huge name in aviation/police/military circles, so no doubt it has weird and non-linear predictors. These are iconic niches, so if Rolex folded, somebody else would take their place - The poseurs of the world NEED a flashy show-off bit of jewelry to tell the world they make more than they really do (and I'm always going to want a watch that JB could kill somebody with ). I'm guessing that if you were to get similar figures on other watches costing >$5-10,000, things would look a little more predictable. I could be wrong - I'll ask my hairdresser (and what the hell are 'dinner-ladies'?).
But all that aside, Rolex still makes a respectable watch. I'm not a Rolex fan, but as an enthusiast I accept that they make great timepieces and have earned their place in the market for a reason, all while competing against the Swatch Group. So it's hard to judge someone wearing a Rolex if they are a poser or not...

Other markets have brands that are more easily identifiable as poser brands, where their products aren't the greatest but they have a perception of being very high end due to aggressive marketing. I think Mont Blanc falls in that category for pens...

Or furthermore, a no-kidding high end company makes "affordable" models that the masses gobble up to be able to say the own something from that brand, but they are very watered down products.

2018 F80 / 2006 S2K / 2005 WRX / 1990 E30 325i
Appreciate 0