View Single Post
      01-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #11
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
I own the car, which is why I don't expose it to chemicals and sand that will destroy it.

As a former ice racer, I have the skills and use them in my other vehicles. My desire with the M2 is to not have damage caused by winter driving diminish its value. If it were a leased vehicle or one that I planned on trading after a couple of years, the situation would be different.

Me too. Plus, my daily driver MINI JCW on Blizzaks is an absolute beast in the snow and ice.

I completely understand your point, but the answer for me is money in the bank. If I can fully enjoy a car and keep it in great shape (without being anal about it) to maintain top value at resale time, then I've gotten the best of both worlds. Also, your situation and mindset about winter driving up north is probably a little different from mine in the U.S. Midwest. My M2 doesn't get put away until the first snow in December - and it's usually back on the street after (hopefully) only 3 months of storage.
OP not stating all who don't drive RWD in winter, do not have the skills but rather if you own a rwd and yet don't drive it, the only thing that should stop you is the lack of skill.

Winter is one of the few times I believe you get that Miata type of feeling from a car of this weight & size. Going at speed limit feels much faster sliding around everywhere. The M2 should be more of an event in that nature with the smaller wheelbase. That's why it's hard for me to fathom storing it even for 3 months.

Not sure of all the differences between the roads in winter over in the midwest compared to up North here. However, in my experience, all my bimmers have been winter driven. After 4 years, I had yet to notice any deterioration directly related to winter use (salt). I believe that speak volumes of the galvanized steel used on Bimmers more than anything. Even the paint, with all the new sealants like Cquartz, it's been remarkable, granted I do wash the car often.

Financial concerns are understandable, especially in relation to accidents. Probability is much higher in winter based on stats alone. In Canada though, when I was looking at what price to post my e92 m3 for, I noticed the price difference between winter driven and non were minimal at best. More to do with miles, year and for some reason the color.

Nway this is just my 2 cents. Hope to join you guys with an M2 in the future once my kid learns to walk.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0