04-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
horsie
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mk VII Golf R

911 or M2?

Hi all:

I’ve long been a German car enthusiast: VWs (GTIs, Sciroccos, Golf Rs), BMWs (3-series sedans and a wagon, a 5-series wagon, a 135i (my favourite) and an E90 M3) and Porsche (944, 997 C2S, 991.1 C2S, and 991.2 C2.

Currently drive a Mk VII Golf R and a 991.2 coupe, which I just got in February, both manual transmissions. Love them both, the R is a keeper for these reasons:
1) all-round all-weather versatility and practicality;
2) need 4 doors for my family and daily city driving duties;
3) AWD for the harsh snowy winters.

Yet, it is still fun to drive, very refined and comfortable.

The Porsche is stellar to drive, no need to expound on that. It’s a classic iconic car, with a beautiful timeless shape.

So why am I so obsessed and infatuated with the BMW M2?

I like its wide aggressive stance, nimbleness and the idea of a small powerful fun-to-drive car that seats 4. My favourite BMW was the 135i, manual of course, for all these reasons. Plus, the reviews have been so favourable. It won motoring.com.au’s Australia’s Best Drivers Car 2016, one point ahead of the 991.2 C2S!

Reasons to flip the 911 for an M2:
- Not as expensive as the Porsche (strangely, I feel that the Porsche is quite extravagant), better bang for your buck, good performance value;
- My kids fit in the back of the Porsche, for now, but they will outgrow it, so the M2 should be better at carrying 4 people, when needed.
- Not as flashy or extravagant as a 911.
- Still a fine handling, fun-to-drive and performing car.
- Want to do European Delivery and the Nurburgring (a bucket list item)

Reasons not to flip the 911 for an M2:
- The M2’s ride might be too harsh for my liking (can always get aftermarket coilovers)
- The M2’s dim daytime instrument dials will drive me crazy (just live with it)
- Wait for the M2 Gran Coupe (4 doors!), if it comes out
- Sell both the R and the 911 and get an Audi RS3 (400 hp, 5-cylinder turbo, AWD, 4-doors!)
- I just got a new 911, it’s been my long-time dream car.

Guess I just love cars so much, and even though my current stable is awesome, there is always something else that catches my eye. Shouldn't I just be happy with the R and the 911? Is the M2 that good? Should I flip the 911 for the M2?

Having all 3 (R, 911, M2) is not an option. R and M2 makes the most sense. RS3 as my only car is also enticing, but would likely miss driving a manual (RS3 is dual-clutch automatic only).

Could wait a few years and enjoy the 911 more, and then order an M2 for European Delivery, if it’s still available - that’s probably the most prudent approach.

I’m not interested in the rumoured M2 CS or GTS. Too hardcore. Not interested in the M3 either. Nor Mercedes or any other Audi product.

Have also posted this on the rennlist.com forum.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, especially those who’ve driven both the base 991.2 and the M2.
Appreciate 0