Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
I realize everyone is thinking about their own situation and what this news means to them but I want to take a step back and say this is a great day for enthusiasts. BMW is doubling down on the M brand and broadening the range with some potentially seriously kick ass cars. This is awesome.
This is actually true. However, if BMW was really trying to look out for the enthusiasts, they should be making these cars with a manual transmission. Porsche equipped the new GT3 with a manual transmission even though it's half a second slower to 60.

I can't believe Van Meel actually said manual transmissions are bad from an engineering perspective because of whatever reasons he gave in his interview.

That's the sort of thing someone from the i-department of BMW should be saying, not the head of the M division. Just my opinion.
I can give you a list of reasons why an automatic transmission is better for the manufacturer.

1- charge additional Markup on sale
2- not as easily damaged on test drive/loaner
3- when out of warranty - a higher failure rate than manual = more sales in service department
4- shorter lifespan than manual - see above
5- less likely for wear /tear on a lease vehicle
6- when a failure occurs - they connect a computer to it and tell you a solenoid has failed- Diagnostic time measured in minutes compared to diagnosing a failing manual transmission

7 - replacement parts are more expensive and more $$ money $$ for service departments to replace an entire transmission for $ 6-7K than to replace a clutch, a clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder , or throw out bearing .. any of which could be replaced for a fraction of the price of an auto trans - let alone DCT-auto
( even MO money ... ).

8 - buyers with sticker shock from an proposed auto transmission failure tend to trade in and buy.... another auto transmission

So.. in addition to being " bad " from an engineering perspective according to Van Meel... manuals are HORRIBLE from a profit perspective when it comes to new car sales, parts department sales , service department sales .. pretty much the entire dealership !

Don't believe the hype - that "customers don't want manuals " ... in sports cars.

Manufacturers have been trying hard to sell sports car customers on their autoboxes with fancy names like " Tiptronic" and "DCT... and after decades they even made the autobox faster than a manual.

And yet still... Spots car Customers are leading a REVOLT and manufacturers are having to give way... and continue to offer manuals.

BMW has been trying to kill the 5 speed in the US M5 for decades ... they have finally done it by making it as big as a 7 series and making it AWD.
Appreciate 1